By Angie Sutton
This cube steak recipe was gobbled up by the kids in the house. Serve it over wide egg noodles or rice for a complete entree.
1 c. all-purpose flour
1. Mix flour, pepper, seasoned salt and garlic powder in a shallow bowl; reserve 3 Tbsp. Coat steaks thoroughly on both sides with remaining mixture.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Pan fry steaks until golden brown, about 5 minutes on each side. Transfer to slow cooker crock.
3. Whisk the remaining flour with beef broth, pour over the steaks and cook on LOW low for 8 hours.
Apron Strings Tip: This dish is oven- ready as well. Bake in a 13-by-9-inch baking dish at 350 degrees F. for 1 1/2 hours. If you like thicker gravy, stir in a package of brown gravy mix with about 30 minutes left to bake.
Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
1 lb. bacon, fried and crumbled, grease saved
1. Cut chicken into bite-sized cubes, coat with 1 1/2 Tbsp. ranch seasoning mix. Saute in skillet with 1 Tbsp. of reserved bacon grease, bell peppers and garlic.
2. When chicken is cooked through, drain grease and liquid from skillet. Return chicken and vegetables to skillet. Pour half the Alfredo sauce and milk into skillet with chicken. Stir in one tsp. of ranch seasoning mix. Simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Begin layering casserole with half of the remaining Alfredo sauce on the bottom of a 13-by-9-inch glass casserole dish. Then layer 1/3 of each of the following: pasta, chicken mixture and tomatoes. Use 1/4 of the fried bacon. Spread 1 cup of mozzarella cheese over that layer. Repeat two more times. After the third layer, cover with the remaining Alfredo sauce, 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and remaining bacon.
4. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes or until heated through. Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Moroccan Beef Stew
This dish is a show- stopper!
3 Tbps. olive oil, divided
1. Heat 2 Tbps. oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
2. Season beef with salt and pepper. Add beef to saucepan and brown on all sides, about 3 minutes. Remove from pan to paper towel-lined plate.
3. Add remaining tablespoon of oil, onion, carrot and garlic to pan. Cook until vegetables are soft, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Add spices and stir 1 more minute. Add broth, olives, raisins, garbanzo beans, and cilantro; bring to boil. Simmer until juices thicken, about 5 minutes. Add beef and stir until all ingredients are warm.
4. Meanwhile, prepare couscous according to package directions. Spoon stew over couscous.
Ultimate Baked Beans
This is a popular recipe that can stand alone as a main dish! When I make it as a side dish, I reduce the ground beef to half or skip it if pairing with hamburgers.
1. lb. ground beef
1. In a large skillet, brown ground beef, bacon and onion until meat is done and onion is translucent and tender. Drain.
2. Combine remainder of ingredients, except beans, in a bowl. Add to meat mixture and mix well.
3. Stir in beans.
4. Dump in a greased 2.5 quart baking dish. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour. You may also slow cook this dish on low for 3 hours.