One pot wonders
By Angie Sutton
One⁃Pot Parmesan Chicken Ziti with Artichokes and Spinach
Simple and on the table in less than an hour, this one⁃pot wonder is one of my kids' favorites!
4 c. tap water
1. In a Dutch oven over medium heat, heat water, 1 can evaporated milk, salt, garlic and pasta to simmering. Simmer 13 to 14 minutes, stirring frequently, until pasta is tender.
2. In a medium bowl, beat remaining can of evaporated milk and cornstarch; stir in chicken and artichoke hearts. Add to mixture in Dutch oven; return to simmering, and continue to simmer 1 to 3 minutes or until thickened and mixture coats back of spoon.
3. Remove from heat; stir in half of the cheese and the lemon juice. Stir until cheese melts, then add remaining cheese (reserving 1/4 cup for serving, if desired) and butter; stir again.
4. Add spinach, and stir until wilted. Serve with reserved cheese and season with pepper.
One⁃Pot Cheese Tortellini and Sausage Dinner
Who doesn’t love a one⁃pot meal with only three steps? This dish is ready in about 30 minutes.
1 lb. cooked pork sausage, sliced
1. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook sliced sausage, onion and garlic 5 to 7 minutes or until onion softens and sausage starts to brown.
2. Stir in sauce, tomatoes, chicken broth and tortellini. Cover and simmer 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tortellini is cooked.
3. Remove from heat; sprinkle with cheese and basil. Serve when cheese has melted.
Stuffed Pepper One⁃Pot Meal
This simple recipe gets dinner on the table in under an hour.
1 lb. ground beef (90% percent lean)
1. In a medium saucepan, brown beef, onion and garlic over medium⁃high heat 5 to 7 minutes, breaking beef into small pieces.
2. Add bell peppers, salt and pepper. Cook 5 to 7 minutes longer or until peppers have started to soften.
3. Reduce heat to medium and add tomatoes, broth, tomato sauce, soy sauce and Italian seasoning. Stir until well combined. Heat to boiling.
4. Add uncooked rice. Return to boiling; reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer about 25 minutes or until rice is tender.
5. Remove from heat; sprinkle with shredded cheese.
Apron Strings Notes: Remove any extra grease after step 2.